In the second chapel on the right is situated the Monument to Paolo di Sangro, grandfather of Raimondo, who died in 1726 at the age of sixty-seven years. It is likely that in its place, until the eighteenth-century reorganisation of the Chapel, there stood the Monument to Alessandro di Sangro, which was then moved to the left of the High Altar. As usual, attribution to Antonio Corradini comes from Origlia, a synchronous and always reliable source. The engraved dedication bears the date of 1742, and academics consider that to be the year – or one very close to it – in which Corradini’s marble was finished, and so would therefore be the first work commissioned by Raimondo di Sangro for the Chapel.
Located in a small niche and free of all symbolism, the bust is of great interest as it is a typical example of eighteenth-century portraiture, severe and evidently realistic. Paolo di Sangro belonged to the Neapolitan political élite under the Austrian Viceroys, holding the important position of prefect of the food administration and becoming counsellor a latere of the Viceroy. The Emperor Charles VI decorated him with the Order of the Golden Fleece (the portrait shows him with the insignia around his neck) and made him a Grandee of Spain of the First Class. Raimondo was very close to his grandfather Paolo, who took care of him during his childhood, and upon his death left him heir to the title and the household at the age of only sixteen years.
Monument to Paolo di Sangro, sixth Prince of Sansevero