This monument was erected to the memory of the fifth Prince of Sansevero, who died in 1698 (and not in 1618 as the plaque would have it, due to an engraving error or a mistake by the late nineteenth-century restorer), and is symmetrical to the one on the left of the entrance. Experts tend to attribute the Monument to Giovan Francesco di Sangro to Celebrano, but some see in it the hand of Queirolo.
An angel with a sorrowful expression holds a lowered torch as a sign of grief. Yet again there are ornamental arboreal motifs and a holy water fountain in the form of a shell. As a whole, the monument exhibits a certain grace and compositional unity. Raimondo di Sangro’s memorial dedication dates back to 1756 and emphasises the loyalty of the deceased to the Spanish Crown, proven at Salerno against the French and in the suppression of dangerous revolts in the Kingdom of Naples. After the death of his wife, the fifth Prince of Sansevero decided to take the cloth in later life.
Monument to Giovan Francesco di Sangro, fifth Prince of Sansevero