The first chapel on the right houses the memorial to the second Prince of Sansevero, Paolo, commissioned by the fourth Prince of Sansevero of the same name and realised perhaps in the period from 1626 to 1636. The only authorship proposed for the Monument to Paolo di Sangro is that of Giacomo Lazzari (probable creator of the Monument to Giovan Francesco di Sangro, first Prince of Sansevero), but at the moment there are no elements that allow confirmation of authorship.
The Prince is dressed as a Roman centurion, to recall the renown he earned during the Spanish campaign under Philip III, whose intimate advisor he was. The Prince has a solemn bearing, and is holding a broken lance. At his feet is a plumed helmet. Unlike the other seventeenth-century monuments, rich in polychromatic inlay, this one has simple decoration, a severe composition, and is static, far removed from the mobility of the baroque. The plaque recalls the strength of mind shown by Paolo on the point of death from illness at the age of fifty-seven.